6643 Union Pacific 4-8-4, Class FEF-3, #838, Black & Graphite, Paragon4 Sound/DC/DCC, Smoke, HO
The Northern type locomotives on the Union Pacific were built by Alco Schenectady Works in 3 classes between August 1937 and December 1944. The first class, designated FEF-1, for Four Eight Four, comprised numbers 800-819. Fitted with 77-inch drivers and a 300-pound boiler pressure, UP was impressed by their performance and took delivery of 15 additional 4-8-4 locomotives in Aug-Oct 1939, numbers 820-834. These locomotives were equipped with 80-inch drivers and larger 14-wheel centipede style tenders with a 23,500 gallon capacity and were class FEF-2. In Dec 1944, 10 additional 4-8-4 locomotives were delivered, these equipped with low-backpressure double stacks, numbered 835-844, and designated FEF-3. All three classes developed 63,800 lbs of tractive effort.
Throughout their service careers multiple modifications were made, including conversion to oil, feedwater heater systems, addition of smoke lifters (designated Wind Wings on UP drawings) and a Mars light, and replacement of stacks from singles to doubles and even triple stacks. UP 844, the final steam locomotive delivered to UP, has been in continuous service on Union Pacific since it was built in 1944; renumbered from UP 844 to UP 8444 between June 1962 and June 1989.
In this production, BLI is modeling the FEF-3 Class with these notable features:
- Accurately modeled FEF-3 double stack and triple stack - prototypically accurate for each road number
- Accurately modeled turret casing
- Individual side rods
- Centipede-style oil tenders with finely detailed oil inserts. #844 has the Heritage Fleet containment dam, other road numbers do not.
- Options for Worthington and Sellers FWH
- Wind Wings on all FEF-3 models in this production
- Cast steel Commonwealth pilot with options for a front coupler or pilot insert
- Walschaerts Valve Gear
- #844 in modern appearance without Mars light. Other SKU's do have the Mars light.
- FEF-3 class road numbers are 835-844
- ALL-NEW Paragon4 Sound & Control System
- Synchronized Puffing Smoke with Chuff Sound
- Variable Puffing Smoke Intensity and timing
- Separate Whistle Smoke Feature - smoke streams from whistle area when whistle is blown
- Integral DCC Decoder with Back EMF for Industry Best Slow Speed Operation in DC and DCC
- Precision Drive Mechanism engineered for continuous heavy load towing and smooth slow speed operation
- 5-Pole Can Motor with Skew Wound Armature
- Heavy Die Cast Boiler, Tender Body, and Chassis for Increased Tractive Effort
- Premium Caliber Painting with Authentic Paint Scheme
- Prototypical Light Operation with Separately Controllable Headlight, Rear Light, Cab Light, Mars Light, Front Numberboards, Front Marker Lights, and Rear Tender Deck Light equipped with Bi-color White/Red LED
- Factory-installed Engineer and Fireman Figures
- Prototypically Accurate Details for Each Road Number
- Many Separately Applied Details such as Handrails, Ladders, Piping, Whistle, and Brass Bell
- Equipped with Rubber Traction Tires for Increased Pulling Power
- Recommended Minimum Radius: 22 inches
- Accurate Prototypical Sounds for the UP FEF-3 Northern