Athearn HO RTR SD40 w/DCC & Sound Southern #3174 A
- All-new LED lighting
- Rubber MU hoses for durability
- Photo-etched stainless steel windshield wipers
Southern and N&W were the only railroads to order high-nosed SD40s. Southern rostered 31 of these locomotives, which were delivered in 1971 and 1972. On these prototype locomotives, the long hood was designated as the front.
In 2015 Norfolk Southern repainted 3170 back into it’s as delivered SOUTHERN livery at the Chattanooga, Tennessee shop. For a year this locomotive saw revenue service before being donated in 2016 to Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.
- Late fans
- Extended range dynamic brakes
- Late production ribbed blower housing
- Walkway lights: 3 per side
- SOU-style sunshades
- S3K horn on each end
- Bell on long hood end
- Firecracker antenna
- Rear hand brake
- MU catch trays with footboards on each end
- As on the prototypes, our DCC-equipped models will run long-hood forward out of the box.