All New Bachmann ALC-42 Charger Locomotives
Coming Nov 2021!
- DCC sound-equipped for sound, speed, direction, and lighting control
- TCS true CD quality audio in 16-bit 44,100Hz sound
- Keep-Alive® device that keeps your engine running during power interruptions due to dirty track or loss of electrical contact
- voice-guided Audio Assist® programming tool for easy set-up of almost all decoder functionality
- dual-mode NMRA-compliant decoder
- directional headlights
- interior corridor work lights
- marker lights
- steady/alternate flashing ditch lights
- die-cast frame
- separately applied windshield wipers, grab irons and detail parts
- performs best on 22” radius curves or greater
About the ALC-42 Charger
The ALC-42 Chargers are equipped with the latest safety and engineering systems, including Positive Train Control, Crash Energy Management, and Alternating Current Propulsion for a maximum speed of 125 miles per hour. The 16-cylinder engine has Tier 4 Emissions Technology to reduce nitrogen oxide by more than 89 percent and particulate matter by 95 percent over the current fleet, while providing a savings in diesel fuel consumption to help Amtrak reach future sustainability goals. The ALC-42, short for “Amtrak Long-distance Charger, 4,200-horsepower,” is similar to the SC-44 locomotives used in service on some state-supported lines, but will have a greater fuel capacity for longer routes and increased power-generating capacity for longer trains. Other upgrades will also lead to lower maintenance costs. The ALC-42 locomotive will serve as a “new face of Amtrak” in much of the U.S. and is designed to enhance safety, aesthetics and to simplify repairs. It will primarily replace P40 and P42 diesel-electric locomotives when they enter service.
About Bachmann’s HO Scale ALC-42 Charger Locomotive
Bachmann’s DCC sound-equipped ALC-42 uses the prototype’s original design documentation and sound files. This model includes a TCS WOWSound® CD-Quality 16-bit 44,100Hz decoder with Audio Assist® for easy configuration without programming CVs and a Keep-Alive® device for uninterrupted operation, even over dirty track. The WOWSound® diesel-electric locomotive sound package includes horn, bell, prime mover, start-up/shutdown, compressor, cooling fan, coupler close/release, brake release and application, crew alert, grade-crossing quill, departing and arriving station announcements, and more. Loaded with prototypical features, the ALC-42 brings all the sights and sounds of the newest Amtrak diesel-electric locomotive to your layout.